Monday, January 28, 2008

Purchase

Today (technically yesterday now) I bought a book titled Screenwriters' Masterclass by Kevin Conroy Scott from Borders. I had two coupons and I think it was a great purchase. I'm hoping that it will inspire me to start doing the one thing I haven't done that I really planned to do here in Omaha: write a script. Not come up with an idea or write an outline or write 15 pages and abandon it, but finish the whole thing. 112 pages. Or 107. Either one of those is a good number.

So the book is a compilation of interviews the author conducted with writers, discussing one particular work of theirs, plus the whole writing process and other fun stuff. He's chosen a diverse and talented group of screenwriters, including Lukas Moodyson, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, Lisa Cholodenko, David O. Russell, Michael Haneke, Wes Anderson, Chris Weitz, Scott Frank, Guillermo Arriaga, Paul Laverty, Francois Ozon, Carlos CuarĂ³n and Darren Aronofsky (among others). From the skimming I've done, it looks like it's pretty solid stuff too. I didn't notice any embarrassing questions and the answers look pretty meaty. It also reminded me that I still have to see Lilya 4-Ever, a movie I've wanted to see 4-ever, or about 5 years.

Anyway, thought someone else out there might find it interesting. It should also provide me with the opportunity of making more double-sided, photocopied handouts for my students to ignore. More importantly, let's hope it does the trick of getting me in the writing mood.

No comments: