Thursday, August 2, 2007

Vacation Day 1

Monticello!


Today we visited Jefferson's plantation home, located near Charlottesville, Virginia. The neoclassical home was designed by Jefferson himself, the renaissance man. The Monticello ("little mountain" in Italian) mountain is at the center of the 5,000 acre plantation that Jefferson inherited from his father.

"...all my wishes end, where I hope my days will end, at Monticello," Thomas Jefferson declared in 1787. He got his wish. We saw the very bed that Jefferson died in on July 4, 1826 -- the 50 year anniversary of signing the Declaration of Independence, written by Jefferson.

Here is Jefferson's gravesite:



"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden," -- Thomas Jefferson, 1811

Here is a portion of Jefferson's garden:

1 comment:

courtney rae said...

I am very impressed that you are finding time to blog while exploring the wonders of Washington DC. I am positive that you and your family are having a blast. I unfortunately am not able to meet you this week because I have exactly ZERO vacation days until September 25th. Also, I am a bad sister and need to get home to see the little Guy!! But, I am sure we can get together in the Fall. Tell everyone I said hello and tell the girls to stay off bridge in MN. Peace-court