Monday, May 12, 2008

the frere-joneses

I just recently became aware of Tobias Frere-Jones, a typeface designer. He works at Hoefler & Frere-Jones in New York and also teaches at the Yale School of Art. He's developed some really cool typefaces.

Anyway, upon learning about this fellow, I immediately wondered if he was related to (I figured the brother of) The New Yorker music critic, musician, photographer, blogger, and occasional contributor to other cool publications (e.g. Slate, Village Voice) Sasha Frere-Jones. (That last link was his personal blog, here is his New Yorker blog.) Frere-Jones is not exactly a commonplace surname. Sure enough, they are brothers. Just thought I would share this exciting (for me, at least) discovery. What a talented, cool-named fraternal duo.

No comments: