Friday, September 14, 2007

Rilo at Sokol!

Awesome. They always put on a good show. Jenny's got some new moves for their new songs - especially Smoke Detector, which follows in the tradition of The Frug in its celebration of random (and made-up?) dance moves. There were lots of smiles; the band looked like they were having fun and the crowd was into it. They played a good mix of old and new stuff. I totally forgot about the song I Never and it was great live. Jenny's voice sounds better than ever. I think she has acquired more range; loved hearing Close Call and her vocal stylings near the end of the song.

Hearing the new songs live makes me like them even better. The disco/cheesiness/ballad/beats/performance/fun vibe really works in a live setting -- so much better than on the cd. There was a definite dance party going on during Breakin' Up, and Fifteen is a really fun, lively song, especially for being about creepy internet stalkers preying on underage girls. There's all this talk about the 70s influence and Fleetwood Mac, and while I can definitely hear the 70s influence, the record is also very 80s to me. Some of it could really be the result of hitting the "demo" button on an old Casio...and this band has never disguised their love of the 80s. And I don't think it's an ironic/tongue-in-cheek kind of love either, it's the real thing. That's what I love about them. That was a bit of a digression...just on my mind.

Greetings in Braille (which I've been listening to a lot lately even though it's years old...it really is a good song) and Rise Up With Fists were thrown in there. They opened with It's a Hit, closed with Does He Love Her? and had a bunch of good songs in between, including Portions for Foxes, Spectacular Views, Wires and Waves, and With Arms Outstretched (always a crowd favorite, sing-a-long style).

I'm heading to Minnesota tomorrow, where I get to see them again with my sisters - reunion! I'm excited. More to come.





1 comment:

laura h said...

so jealous. so lucky. wish i had been there. sokol was our intro to the band (opening for the good life) and we've seen them there many times since (i jsut thought of the Ex of All things CD release show and Jenny's golden retriever t-shirt!). it won't be the same at santa monica civic. but still, can't wait for their energy, sincerity, smiles, fun-loving spirit, seriousness and of course, new dance moves!!! my goal is to one day here that band play glendora live. did jenny and blake do their break-up dramatization during silver lining?