Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Once again to Witch Mountain

Today I was alerted to the fact that Walt Disney Pictures is remaking one of my favorite movies from childhood: Escape from Witch Mountain. The movie was based on a book, and one of the many that I religiously checked out of Dearborn Public Library. It was followed by the just-as-good-if-my-memory-serves-me sequel, Return from Witch Mountain.

I was on the phone with Laura when she described the billboard and said the name of the film. My heart jumped at the name and memory and then sunk upon realizing the inevitable: a remake. "The Rock is in it," Laura said. Oh no, I thought. "Are their two kids in it?" I asked, hesitantly. "Yes," came her reply. "Around thirteen or so?" I was thinking of Tia, the older sister, and my hero - an orphan with ultrasonic speech detectible only to the fellow orphaned, telekinetic brother she protects. "Maybe like eleven." "What else is on the poster?" I asked. There was a pause and then: "A taxi, a helicopter and a spaceship." Yep, that's the one.

The studio gave it a new title, Race to Witch Mountain, and added what they must have considered the crucial ingredient of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. I am very disheartened by this. I'm curious to see the movie, but don't want to interfere with my mind's idealized version of the original. I can still perfectly picture the de-saturated colors and 1970s outfits (it was made in 1975) and the clunky visual effects that will (sadly) no doubt be replaced by the technical wizardry of today. What I most remember about the films (besides the amazing scene where they get dropped off in the Rose Bowl by a spaceship early on in the sequel) is the intelligence, spunk, freedom and paranormal powers that the kids possessed - pure fantasy for a kid.

To illustrate the assumed difference in artistic merit between these two films I present the poster of the original and the upcoming remake.



2 comments:

Erin said...

Funny. Jamie mentioned this the other day...We both know your love for Witch Mountain. You're going to exact revenge against the Rock if he ruins this new one of you, which he inevitably will do.

HOLLYWOOD STOP REMAKING PERFECTLY GOOD MOVIES!!!!

laura h said...

well i am glad that my great descriptions made their way into this post, but you failed to mention that this film opens on firday march 13 - both friday the 13 and my bday. and now this. it's like a triple holiday.