Monday, July 2, 2007

Reading update

I finished No one belongs here more than you by Miranda July. I liked it very, very much. Unfortunately, I had already read six of the stories in other publications. I also attended a reading where she read two more that I hadn't read before: "This Person" and "The Sister." I loved hearing "That Person" read aloud, especially by July herself with the sort of even, non-inflection that perfectly characterizes the voice of that story. That brought the total of previously read/heard stories up to eight, leaving me an equal eight completely new stories to cherish. And cherish them I did. I read seven in spurts and then for some reason left "Mon Plaisir" unread until last night. All of the stories were great. Out of the new ones I read, "It Was Romance" and "Ten True Things" stick out. "Birthmark" is an older one that I really love.

Suffice it to say, I am a very big fan of all of July's varied work in multiple mediums, her writing included. I guess my biggest compliment to her is to say that she is one of the most inspiring artists to me that is working today. Inspiring sounds like a lofty, oft-used word, but in this context is means simply her work makes me want to do stuff. Stuff like writing, making films, videos, and drawings. It's rare that a work of writing or art can entertain, connect with you emotionally, prompt introspection, make you laugh, surprise you, and get you excited about creating something yourself; July's work often reaches these heights.

The stories in No one belongs here more than you are deceptively simplistic. I don't want to get all analytical and/or descriptive here, it just seems kind of inappropriate for her work, and I don't feel like it, but I do want to recognize that her work contains these layers: layers of self-recognition, self-deception, self-loathing. So much is said by what is left unsaid in these stories, and how they're told. I'm not making much sense, and this is why I didn't want to go here in the first place. Trying to talk about them almost unravels the stories themselves...not in a way where they don't stand up upon closer inspection, but in a way that...I don't know takes away their magical quality. I suppose magical is a word that is sometimes used to describe July's work and while I think it is fitting in ways, it also carries the connotation of being thin or flighty...whimsical...like unicorns and rainbows. I don't think this describes her work at all. I think what is so striking about her work (writing especially) is that it is grounded in a very real, often dark and sad world. The fact that she can find the unique, the wonderful, the uplifting, the magical in the mundane, often depressing world is joyful, but if she is a writer of fairy tale like wonder, she more closely resembles the Brothers Grimm than Hans Christian Andersen.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

diazepam 10 mg diazepam withdrawal side effects - diazepam for dogs effects

Anonymous said...

generic lorazepam 3 mg ativan high - lorazepam dorom 20cpr 1mg

Anonymous said...

diazepam 10 mg buy valium online usa next day delivery - diazepam dosage public speaking

Anonymous said...

how to buy xanax online legally xanax side effects in weight - xanax 5 htp

Anonymous said...

buy valium online purchase valium online no prescription - no prescription valium online buy

Anonymous said...

buy ativan ativan j code - ativan side effects adults

Anonymous said...

buy ativan online ativan addiction elderly - ativan side effects in elderly

Anonymous said...

order xanax online xanax bars online cheap - xanax side effects shaking

Anonymous said...

ativan medication ativan mg get high - typical ativan dosage

Anonymous said...

xanax online 2mg clonazepam vs 2mg xanax - much 2mg xanax street price

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam valium y diazepam es lo mismo - diazepam dosage pain

Anonymous said...

carisoprodol drug soma drug novel - carisoprodol synthesis

Anonymous said...

zolpidem drug ambien causes sleep eating - order ambien mexico

Anonymous said...

somas online soma positive drug test - order soma mexico

Anonymous said...

ambien online without rx ambien for sale online no prescription - ambien side effects in elderly

Anonymous said...

carisoprodol no prescription carisoprodol 749 - carisoprodol used treat

Anonymous said...

ambien sleep medication ambien discount card - ambien and alcohol symptoms

Anonymous said...

order soma side effects of soma medication - buy soma online ship florida

Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium pills reviews - valium knights lyrics

Anonymous said...

diazepam no prescription valium morning anxiety - valium drug schedule

Anonymous said...

can you buy valium online valium 5mg a day - buy valium online uk fast delivery