Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The end of an era



Gilmore Girls is over. I have not yet seen the final two episodes. In a way, I am scared of watching them because if I watch them, the reality will set in that there are no more episodes to watch. None. In the whole world. I will have watched every single episode of the show. It will really be over. Watching those final episodes is like the nail in the coffin, and I want to hold off on hammering that proverbial nail. It's like when I'm reading a really great book I start reading slower when I get near the end because I just don't want it to end.

Yes, I know, there are still the DVDs and Amy Sherman-Palladino's new show "The Return of Jezebel James." I am really looking forward to it. It stars Parker Posey, Lauren Ambrose and Scott Cohen (Max Medina) and it was picked up by Fox, so there are a few positive things to hold onto. But I will still miss the goings-on of Stars Hollow. I feel like the town is still bustling, and that life there is still going on. Luke is serving a plate of hamburger and fries right now as he looks out the window longingly at Lorelai who rushes past talking on her cell phone to Rory who just called to tell her that Jess has come to visit her dorm as she was moving out and brought the book about her that he wrote and published titled, appropriately enough, "Rory." He brought a hardcover copy for her and a copy of Oliver Twist. Sookie is trying out a new dish for the Inn, as they are currently hosting a Democratic rally with Barack and Hillary in separate corners of the Dragonfly and Michel is trying to soothe the crowd tensions. Kirk is there with a trumpet to signal the entrance of Sookie's pecan-crusted halibut and grilled asparagus. The world of Stars Hollow moves on, but we just don't have a window into it anymore. But I know, it's not really true. It's just TV, and it's not real.

I guess Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel and the many supporting characters that made Gilmore what it is will be free to star in the script that I will be writing for them. How great would a buddy road comedy with Lauren and Alexis be...and maybe throw Kelly Bishop in the mix? It'll be like the road trip episode but bigger and better and longer. You would want to see that, right?

Also, Amy and Dan, if you're reading this (as I am sure you are), can you PLEASE do audio commentaries on all the past episodes of Gilmore? I would buy and re-buy the entire series if you did this and so would others. You can use that quote in your pitch to Warner Bros. and maybe they'll see dollar signs in their eyes and go for it. Because I finally listened to the commentary on "You Jump, I Jump, Jack"...well admittedly not the whole thing, because I've fallen asleep two nights (not because of the commentary, of course, that was thrilling...but because of the combination of exhaustion and Tylenol PM) but what I've heard has been great! Funny, insightful, sarcastic, informative...we get to listen in on the witty repartee and banter of what may be the best married TV writing/producing partnership in history (Lucy and Ricky, who?). And this was your first crack at it. Think of how engaging and entertaining you could be after doing six seasons worth.

My other suggestion: "Gilmore Girls: The Movie."

No comments: