Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Reform School



Besides Sprinkles, another cool place that I recently went to in L.A. (again with my mom and aunt) that I had never been before is this little place called Reform School in Silver Lake. It's by Lovecraft Biofuels...I had never seen it before and I often drive past that strip of Sunset. Anyway, it's a really cool place that has stuff made by independent artists, like pillows, tote bags, t-shirts and artwork. The store also offers a lot of interesting, design-oriented weekly planners (!!) and other journal/school/stationery/writing style products which are pretty much my favorite things in the world...as well as books and cool cards and such. They have stuff by Yoshitomo Nara, Mike Mills, and Nikki McClure just to name a few. A lot of the art is made with re-used and recycled materials as well.

It's pretty small and nothing groundbreaking, but it was a nice surprise of a store. I like the clouds hanging from the ceiling...they are Science of Sleep-ish. They also have a converted machine where you can put $5 (in quarters) in and instead of getting cigarettes you get a little art book (you can choose the artist). I really wanted to get one, but didn't. Next time.

Here is their website, which is pretty much just photos of the store right now, but you can get a sense of the place, and an online store is coming soon...

No comments: