Friday, February 8, 2008

Obama in Omaha

Today (technically yesterday) was a busy day. I went straight from teaching to pick Kyle up and head downtown to the Civic Auditorium to attend a Barack Obama rally.

Bright Eyes, Jim James and M. Ward played a few songs at the opening of the rally. Then we waited awhile for Barack to come onstage (he was an hour late) and then he spoke for about an hour. We arrived at 3:30 and left at 7, at which time I had to head straight to Slowdown and stand in a long line in the freezing cold to get into the free Barack Obama rally show with, again, Bright Eyes, Jim James, M. Ward and Jim Ward of Sparta and Secret Life of Sparrows. The show was awesome. Basically an all star band that sounded really good and we got to hear about 5 great bands for free and Jason Boesel was drumming. I'm too tired to describe any of this in any detail whatsoever, except to say it was a great and exhausting day.

Photos below. I took some videos too, so maybe I'll post some more on the rally/show tomorrow. And I have photos from Florida yet to post. I'm getting behind!













6 comments:

Erin said...

What songs did Bright Eyes play at the rally? I'm really curious! You guys are so lucky that Conor played there...we got some band called Golden Smog (as lame as their name suggests)

Lindsay said...

He played At The Bottom Of Everything, Landlocked Blues/One Foot in Front Of The Other and I think one (or two?) more that I can't remember.

laura h said...

LINDS!! didn't we see GODLEN SMOG open up for Rilo Kiley once at Sokol a few years ago? or am i crazy? i vaguely remember JL being like, and golden smog, those dudes are awesome and that they were from minnesota i think. and i even sort of remember the band -- kind of more the flannel shirt logger look. and then i think we were driving to chicago the next day and thought we saw their van at a gas station....does this ring any bells or am i nuts?

Lindsay said...

Laura, I do have a vague remembrance of Golden Smog - well the name, not the band. And it makes sense that they were from Minnesota. I do also vaguely remember seeing their van, but I thought maybe it was while driving on the road...but maybe it was at a gas station. I think you have a better memory than I do though, so I would trust your instincts more than mine.

Anonymous said...

anyone know what songs Jim James sang in? this is a pretty incredible "Superband" type lineup.

Lindsay said...

He sang "Gideon" and another I didn't know where he sang "I feel wonderful" a lot. It's not on Z, I know that.

The one he sang with M. Ward was "One Life Away."