Thursday, June 28, 2007

Two unrelated things

1. I just finished a trio of books (in order from most recently read): A Man Without A Country by Kurt Vonnegut, History of Love by Nicole Krauss, and Name All the Animals by Alison Smith. One of the good things about traveling is that it makes for great reading time. They were all quite different from each other. It was nice to have such a shift in tone, writing style, and content after each read. Like cleansing the palette. I enjoyed them all very much, and would recommend them all...though there are very few books that I have read that I didn't enjoy.

A Man Without A Country is a very fast read. It's just some of Kurt's thoughts in no particular order, for no particular rhyme or reason, but it doesn't come off as high-minded or pretentious. Those are two adjectives that are about as far from Vonnegut as I could imagine. It's insightful, funny, warm, and unsentimental. Then again, I would probably enjoy reading Vonnegut's grocery list.

I really really liked History of Love. Yeah, it did remind me of Jonathan Safran Foer's work (her husband), but does it really matter as long as it's good? Krauss understands her characters, and their full lives off and on the page. If you asked her what Alma had for breakfast yesterday and how she prepared it, she could probably give an answer fully consistent with her character right off the bat. A lot of contemporary, young writers (Foer, Krauss, Zadie Smith, most of all Dave Eggers, et al) have come under fire and some sort of backlash against their postmodern leanings and inventive, witty, sometimes experimental prose and while these writers are vastly different and I'm not meaning to lump them all together or make any sort of statement, but I guess I would want to say "Hey, at least they're trying. They're trying to express and to communicate, and to play and experiment with the form...often as a means of getting at a deeper emotional meaning or to evoke a feeling." It's true that sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but why so many haters? In this case, I think her style works for the novel. The writing, to me, doesn't attract attention away from the content...I mean in a way it becomes the content, and man, her style is impressive. I mean she really knows how to write. It's poetic and descriptive, but also taut and honest. The asides don't feel like asides, they feel like a secret that you're being let in on, a secret that gives you greater insight into what feels like a living, breathing human being. And the structure is intricate and complex, but totally makes sense (especially upon a partial re-read). I liked how it alternates narrators, who have distinctly different voices and thus writing styles. It had to have taken a lot of work to write this.

Name All the Animals
is a memoir. The author lost her brother in a car accident when she was 15 and he was 18, and it is about her and her family coping with that fact and how she formed her own identity in the wake of his death, a kind of coming of age story as well. It is a sad novel, but quite unsentimental, which I really liked. Smith seems to be able to have an outsider's insightful perspective on herself and her family, which is a difficult skill. It's less about feelings, than it is about our actions and behavior in the face of something so devastating, and ultimately, our lack of control. She chooses to recount detailed, specific episodes rather than give a snapshot of their lives post-trauma, which is much more interesting and effective.

2. I meant to write this awhile back, after I saw Ocean's 13. One thing I noticed (besides the fact that Brad Pitt is almost always seen chewing or eating throughout the series of films), was that the featured choice of air travel amongst those highfalutin capers was none other than Southwest. I was proud to see the Southwest orange and ochre displayed proudly. Even a gang of high-rolling, swift-minded, movie-star quality thieves can't resist those deals. They don't need assigned seats either.

3 comments:

Jamie P said...

I really want to read Man Without A Country. So bad. Too bad you gave it to Mom, who I doubt has ever read Vonnegut and even if she did would say "this is weird." Lindsay!

laura h said...

thank you for the book reviews! we should all do this more often -- review what we've read and post for our friends. it will inspire more reading -- and more writing. it'll be hard to break my habit of gilmore on the laptop as i head into bed, but i know i should do it in the name of reading. first up for me is finishing (and most likely re-starting) the inheritance of loss.

Lindsay said...

Jamie, perhaps Mom will expand her tastes. I'm thinking that she'll like the rants against Bush, et al. and the praise for a Midwestern work ethic.

Laura, I think that the book reviews are a great idea. I know how addicting night-time Gilmore is...there should be a Gilmore Anonymous club. I already know about a dozen members.

Um, and after Inheritance of Loss is what? The English Patient perhaps...or Remains of the Day?! Because I've only recommended those for about 5 years. And yes, I know Madame Bovary is awaiting my attentive eyes. Then in 2008 you can finish Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. Too bad Kate never reads this blog, she would be in on the joke. Her loss.

So, yeah, I'm in on the cross-country book club. As long as Oprah's not invited.

I take that back...if she's inspiring suburban mothers around the world to pick up John Steinbeck or now Middlesex, I say more power to her. Readers unite!